It’s a new year, so why not make it one where you save money on water, heat, electricity, and more? At our heating and cooling company, we have a few easy suggestions on how to just that (and save energy, as well!):
One of the easiest ways to save water is to use less of it. Here are three ways to do that:
- Install low-flow shower heads and faucets so you don’t use as much water when you take showers, wash your hands, and do the dishes.
- If you have a dripping faucet, get it fixed as soon as possible – even a slow drip can waste more water than you think.
- Before you start your dishwasher or washing machine, make sure you have a full load ready to go. If not, you’ll just waste water on fewer items.
- Make sure your doors and windows are sealed well and don’t emit any drafts that can increase your heat use and in turn, your heating bills.
- Use a programmable thermostat to reduce your heat use when you’re sleeping or not at home.
- Make sure your attic is thoroughly insulated – if not, it could be letting in drafts and forcing you to use your heater more than you need to.
On Air Conditioning
- Invest in thick curtains that block out the sun to help keep your home cooler and in turn, lower your air conditioning bills.
- At night, use overhead fans, box fans, and open your windows to generate the flow of cool air instead of relying on your air conditioning.
- Change your HVAC unit’s filter after each season to make sure the airflow isn’t restricted
- If you’re not using something, turn it off. This includes lights, the television, fans, and more.
- Install energy-efficient light bulbs like CFLs or LEDs instead of incandescent bulbs and you could save up to 80% on your electric bill.
- Limit your use of things that use a lot of electricity such as hair dryers, dishwashers, coffee makers, toaster ovens, and more.
On Everyday Items
- Instead of spending money on all brand-name things, you can save anywhere from $50-$500/month money by buying generic.
- Save some money by making your own household cleaning products (that clean just as well!). For example: mix a lemon with borax to get a powerful cleaner that can remove rust stains.
- Check the internet for coupon codes before you buy anything online.