What Is Carbon Monoxide and Should I Be Concerned About It?

What Is Carbon Monoxide

Many people have heard that they should have a carbon monoxide detector in their homes for safety. This device can be as important as a smoke detector. However, a lot of people overlook this life-saving device because they are not sure what carbon monoxide is or how it could affect them.

What Is Carbon Monoxide?

Knowing the answer can save your life. Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas that is a byproduct of burning fossil fuel. The most likely sources of carbon monoxide gases in your home are natural gas or propane. Many homes use gas for their stoves, water heaters, and furnaces. Some people use propane for grills and other heating appliances.
If the fumes from using natural gas or propane are not vented properly, you can suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning.

What Is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Carbon Monoxide gas replaces the oxygen in the air. This means that your body will begin to inhale carbon monoxide instead of oxygen. After inhaling this gas for a short time, you will suffocate from the lack of oxygen.

Some of the most common signs that you may be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning include the following:

  • Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
  • Onset of nose and throat irritation
  • Confusion
  • Bad headache
  • Dizziness or blurred vision
  • Feeling overly tired or unable to stay awake
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Loss of consciousness

If you or anyone in your family begin to experience these symptoms and are not sure of the cause, leave your home immediately so that you can get fresh air and seek medical attention. Do not return to your home until you have had a professional evaluate the situation and ensure it is safe to return.

Can You Prevent Carbon Monoxide?

Although carbon monoxide is a naturally occurring gas, you can take steps to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Always make sure that your home is well-ventilated and that appliances like your stove, water heater, and furnace are maintained regularly and properly ventilated. Never use propane appliances indoors. This is especially true for space heaters. One of the leading causes of carbon monoxide poisoning is using a propane space heater in a closed space.

Have A Carbon Monoxide Detector Installed In Your Home

Contact Oliver Heating and Cooling today to maintain your appliances or have a carbon monoxide detector installed. You will feel safer this winter knowing that you and your family are protected.

Google Rating
Based on 1967 reviews
Schedule Online

"*" indicates required fields


This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

During extreme conditions, response times may be delayed. We will do our best to accommodate your request. Your patience is appreciated.

Schedule Online