An unpleasant odor rising from your garbage disposal means that the time for cleaning has come. You may need to clean it weekly or monthly depending on how much food waste you grind. Learning how to clean a garbage disposal allows you to keep the kitchen sink area fresh and functional. Please keep in mind that when it comes to plumbing jobs around the house it’s always best to get help from a professional. If you live in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, or Delaware, the master plumbers at Oliver are just a click or phone call away!
Tools You’ll Need
Grinding ice cubes will scrape gunk from the moving parts. Rock salt or vinegar will neutralize bacteria which are causing the odors.
- Rubber dish gloves
- Scrubber sponge
- Dish soap
- Ice cubes
- Rock salt or vinegar
How to Clean a Garbage Disposal Step by Step
- Shut off power to the garbage disposal by unplugging it or shutting off the circuit supplying electricity to the unit.
- Put on rubber dish gloves.
- Wet the scrubber sponge with warm water and apply a generous amount of dish soap to it.
- Insert the sponge through the baffle flaps on the drain.
- Wipe under the flaps and all around the top of the grinding chamber.
- Rinse grime from the sponge as you go.
- Add more dish soap as necessary.
- Continue until all of the dirt and grime has been removed.
- To clean the grinding parts, ensure your hands and sponges are away from the unit.
- Put ice cubes down the drain until the disposal is full.
- Pour either 1 cup of rock salt OR 1 cup of vinegar into the disposal.
- Run water from the faucet.
- Turn the power back on and run the disposal.
- Allow the machine to grind the cubes until they are gone.
- Shut the disposal off.
Garbage Disposal Replacement Services
Persistent odors in your garbage disposal indicate loss of grinding action. Even if the motor still works, the unit’s ability to process waste properly has degraded. Food bits are clinging to worn grinders and rotting. The licensed plumbers at Oliver can install a new garbage disposal for you. You can choose a model that matches your needs and provides efficient waste processing. Hiring us also saves you from wrangling with equipment under your sink and prevents the risk of injury. For service throughout the Delaware Valley, contact us about a new garbage disposal today!