Caulking the rim of a sink prevents water from seeping under the sink. Over time, the caulk can crack and lose its seal. If you’ve detected moisture under a bath or kitchen sink, look at the caulk for visual evidence of deterioration. How to recaulk a sink does not require that you remove the sink. You’ll only scrape away the old caulk and then apply fresh caulk.
- Sponge with a scrubber side
- Utility knife
- Putty knife
- Masking tape
- Caulk gun
Steps for How to Recaulk A Sink
- Wash the rim of the sink thoroughly and dry it completely.
- Position the blade of a utility knife against the counter surface and cut the seal.
- Now cut the seal where the caulk connects with the sink itself.
- Scrape away the caulk. You may want a putty knife in addition to the utility knife to remove the old caulk.
- Take your time to ensure that you remove all old caulk that is accessible.
- Wash and dry the rim area again. Use the scrubber side of the sponge to take off caulk residue.
- Apply strips of masking tape around the sink rim. Leave a narrow space clear where the new caulk will go.
- Install a tube of silicone caulk in a caulk gun. It’s up to you if you use clear or white caulk.
- Cut the tip of the caulk tube with the utility knife.
- Squeeze the caulk gun trigger until caulk comes out of the tip.
- If you want, practice applying caulk on something you can throw away to get the hang of working the un.
- Position the tip of the caulk tube against the seam where the sink meets the counter.
- Squeeze the gun trigger as necessary and put a bead of caulk around the sink.
- Wet your finger and run it around the newly caulked edge. Push a little to force caulk into the cavity.
- Wipe caulk off your finger and wet it again as needed.
- Once you’re satisfied with the caulking, remove the tape. Pull tape outward from the sink rim to void disrupting the new caulk.
- Allow the caulk to dry for a day before using the sink.
Professional Plumbers and Bath Remodeling
Broken sink caulk is not the only source of moisture problems under a sink. How to recaulk a sink won’t fix a leaking drain for example. If you have persistent moisture under a sink, a plumber from Oliver will track down the source of the problem. We also offer remodeling services that can transform a dingy bath or kitchen into a bright space again. Contact Oliver about home remodeling today.